Tap Beer Syndrome


It was a hot n humid September afternoon in Mumbai, I was chilling out with my favorite gang - Amit & Chetal. From GST to politics to cricket to Netflix, I was loving the way we were changing the discussion topics like Mumbai weather. Engrossed in a serious discussion about how India is moving, finally Amit remembered that we are supposed to feed ourselves. On asking my choice - I expressed my desire to have a tap beer. Isnt that too precise and why Tap beer. So, my subconscious mind remembered that it was a dry day.


Both laughed as this wasn’t the first time I was asking for something that was unavailable. With a giggle Chetal diagnosed me to be suffering from Tap beer syndrome – basically chasing something what I cant get.

That made me think, whether I feel very needy or maybe greedy in those moments. I am weird and I like that awkwardness. But I am not alone. "Too often, the thing you want most is the one thing you can't have," heard Meredith Grey saying this in Grey's Anatomy.

This will sound all familiar for people who always like to chase things they can't have. It might be a dream job or it could be a person or Tap beer on a dry day- either way, when something is out of reach, they want it that much more.

But why??? Our brains love the unpredictability because the highs are higher when there are odds.

People tend to be more satisfied when they get something that they’ve worked hard. Studies prove that your brain gives off dopamine when you’re chasing after something you really want and the longer it takes to get it, the more dopamine is released. This explains why we love to chase things that are difficult to get.

But the truth is, if you can pull yourself away and devote your time and energy to what you do have rather than what you don't, you're likely to save yourself a lot of heartache.

At the end, I will enjoy coffee instead of beer with my friends on a dry day but wont be able to enjoy a Glass of Tap beer without them. Because my friends are my tap beer who keep me happy high and I wanna keep this Tap beer syndrome forever.




Comments

AM said…
Nicely written Rash!
You can thank us for the diagnosis of #TDS
:D
Most people don't even know they have it.
Rashmi said…
@AM: True that!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Dad, I was never your Son!

Here I go again!